Tutorials  
Go Back
  Wargame Terrain Tutorial  

Creating Headlands

Whilst designing the Cancon 09 board I had an urgent need for another headland-like tile to compliment the soon-to-be released, Point Letitia. Not counting drying time, the whole construction, painting and detailing took under 6hrs and cost not much more than a basic Bart tile. Here is how it was done.

1. I had a general idea of the height and insert needed with this tile. It was the contents of my bits & pieces box that really made this piece. This new tile had to fit the existing Bart’s Beach hexsides (Fig 1), so I always had a beach template near when I was working on the hex-side detail

Figure 1

2. I needed a two hill-hexside, low, sandy headland so I first attached the appropriate hill-spike overlay (using the botting board to ensure continuity with the other hill tiles) (Fig 2). The plastic tiles don’t hold plaster well so it was necessary to lay some thin balsa flooring over about 50% of the surface. The rest of the detail consisted of odds and ends that were within reach.
Figure 2

3. Now came the fun stuff. I used DAS to convert the junk-yard to something resembling a coastal landform (Fig 3). The stone stairs and pair of rocky Tors bought the piece alive (and gave it its name, ‘Smuggler’s Point’. The tricky part was the insert recess. To ensure precision, I used a spare 86x86 galvanised iron Habitation base as a cast and filled around it. It was removed and the edges touched up once the DAS had dried.
Figure 3

4. Base coat painting involved three colours (Fig 4). Earth for dirt and deep water, Buff for sand and shallow water, and Green for the areas of vegetation.
Figure 4

5. The rocks were then given a black wash, a buff dry brush and some splotchy dark brown. The water areas were given a couple of washes of Games Workshop’s green ink. (Fig 5).
Figure 5

6. To get the water effect, three light coats of PVA were applied. The surface of each layer was dimpled with a stiff brush and allowed to dry completely before a fresh coat was applied. (Figs 6 and 7).
Figure 6Figure 7

7. Flock was applied sparingly to the grassy areas. Sand (‘Envirospheres’) was applied to the beach and some rock cavities (Fig 8). And the dirt patches were given a brown wash and buff dry brush.
Figure 8

8. The base tile was now ready to play on. The only decision left was the choice of Habitation. (Figs 9 and 10).
Figure 9Figure 10

9. Note. Fig 10 shows what happens if you don’t wear a hair net. Oh well, a couple of well placed small spheres and I can convince people that it is a fishing net.

Return to tutorial list.